Store Donations Policy
We accept both new and old/vintage/antique: building materials, furniture, doors, windows, hardware, lighting, tools, cabinets, sinks, tubs, tile, trim, stair parts, shutters, barn beams & planks, and much more!
Please contact us if you’re remodeling, moving, or cleaning out your barns or storage areas– you’ll be surprised what you have that we can reuse. Solid wood furniture in need of repair is acceptable (gluing, seat caning or weaving, missing parts, stuck drawers); Work Preserve job training participants learn furniture repair skills on these items.
If you are unsure about the acceptability of your item, please call ahead to check and speak with our Store Manager at (607) 277-3450 or email email@example.com
Significant Elements appreciates your donation and we make an effort to accept as many useable items as possible. We are limited, however by space, demand, and the environment hazards posed by certain materials and we must be selective in accepting donations.
NOTICE: Please call (607) 277-3450 before bringing windows or doors. Or email a picture of the items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not leave items at back or front doors without notification.
Make a donation of building materials to Significant Elements and get a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to the store in a monthly drawing! A winner will be drawn from each month’s donors.
Significant Elements will provide a donation receipt for your tax purposes.
By donating to and shopping at Significant Elements, you help to:
♦ Keep tons of valuable materials out of the landfill each year
♦ Reduce the demand for new materials
♦ Provide a community resource for the care and maintenance of historic buildings
♦ Provide job training to youth and young adults in customer service, retail, furniture repair, and facility maintenance skills, through Historic Ithaca’s Work Preserve program
♦ Support Historic Ithaca’s programs:
- Advocacy and Outreach
- Classes, Workshops, and Tours
- Technical Services
- Library of the Built Environment
Thank you for your support!
Please refer to the following list of items that we don’t accept before bringing in a donation:
- Refrigerators, microwaves, air conditioners and computers
- Fluorescent lights, can lights, or track lighting
- Electric or gas baseboard heaters
- Open bags of cement, mortar, drywall compound, grout, etc.
- Used carpet
- Ceiling Tiles
- Cabinets with missing drawers and doors
- Melamine, laminate, particle board cabinets
- Particle board laminate desks, bookcases, and furniture
- Counter-tops: L-shaped or outdated colors
- High-flow toilets (we DO ACCEPT new, low-flow toilets (1.6 gal/flush or less) or antique toilets ca. 1940s or older)
- Fiberglass or cultured marble
- Shower doors: except some in like-new condition with all parts
- Tile with heavy grout and old cement
- Windows: one-light, non-wavy glass; thermal pane without a frame; double-hung in poor condition; single-pane windows in frame (except wavy glass)
- Lumber or trim that is shorter than 6″, rotten, damaged, heavily painted, or with nails
- Treated lumber, unless new and still tagged with ACQ sticker
- Fiberglass insulation
- Upholstered furniture: couches, love seats, easy chairs, and ottomans (we DO ACCEPT solid wood furniture such as tables, chairs, stools, desks, etc)
- Wood burning equipment, unless antique or new and unused
- Old thermostats or any item containing mercury
- Most vinyl/plastic items: shutters, cabinets doors, bi-fold doors, etc.